According to local traders, Hailsham Street Market, organised by Hailsham Forward in partnership with the Town Council, has been a resounding success since opening to the…
In Hailsham, we are fortunate to have a wide variety of fantastic landscapes right on our doorstep.
Within ten minutes of the town centre we have a National Park, ancient woodlands, wildlife-rich chalk downs, Sites of Special Scientific Interest and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Within the parish of Hailsham we also have a wide range of areas that need to be managed and preserved to ensure they stay in good condition for future generations: Listed buildings and Architectural Conservation Areas; Public Open Spaces such as the Hailsham Country Park, Common Pond and Memorial Sensory Garden; play areas and recreation grounds, hundreds of protected trees and hedgerows and many areas that are home to protected species.
Activities that we all undertake as we go about our daily lives have the potential to have a negative impact on our environment so it’s important that we manage these effectively and sustainably.
The Town Council works to
- Ensure that natural environments under HTC responsibility are managed in ways that prevent their deterioration.
- Ensure environmental considerations are reflected in Council policies, debates and discussions.
- Monitor developers and ensure that they act responsibly when they build in our town.
- Oversee the environmental performance of contractors working on behalf of HTC e.g. grass cutting and tree work.
- Maintain public open spaces such as play areas and recreation grounds, as well as the allotments at Battle Road, Station Road and Harold Avenue.
- Deal with problems such as dog fouling through the provision and maintenance of dog hygiene bins throughout the town.
- Work with partners to promote environmental awareness and strong management practices.
As Hailsham continues to develop and grow over the coming years it’s vitally important that we take the necessary measures to minimise negative impacts and promote the positive.