Enjoy the street market and its vibrant atmosphere! Fresh fruit and veg, homemade pies, smoked fish, fabulous crafts and jewellery, garden plants, pet items, stylish accessories…
A vision for the future with an eye on the past…
View HAILSHAM & HELLINGLY BUSINESS PLAN [Updated Sept 2018]
Acting as a gateway to the stunning South Downs National Park the market town of Hailsham sits proudly amongst the lowland forests and marshes of the Sussex Weald.
Whilst we can all appreciate that the Town’s proximity to the oustandingly beautiful Sussex countryside makes us very fortunate, we cannot be blind to the problems that exist in rural towns such as ours.
We recognise that Hailsham’s town centre is in need of improvement; we recognise that as our town expands, the road sytem will need to be increasingly well managed; we recognise that an increasing population can result in increased levels of antisocial behaviour and we recognise that these issues need to be borne in mind when we make decisions and plan for the future.
These improvements will keep us well placed in providing essential services to the people of the Sussex Weald and beyond – a role that has been central to Hailsham’s identity for over 700 years.
Key objectives of Hailsham Forward
The Hailsham Forward Town Team, including the Town Council as the leading project partner, has identified the issues Hailsham face as represented by five key objectives, of which the main visions are highlighted below:
Economic revitalisation of the business community
- Regular markets
- Skill development
- Creation of a community meeting place
Protecting and enhancing our natural and built environments
- The maintenance and protection of the Conservation Area
- Consideration of environmental issues in the Council’s decision making process
- Continuation of the various Hailsham in Bloom projects
Effective and sustainable infrastructure
- The Council to continue to provide robust feedback to Wealden District and East Sussex County Councils
- Such feedback will ensure that their key decisions affecting the development of Hailsham are matched with the appropriate and sustainable improvements in the infrastructure
Safety and security of the whole community
- Work with the local schools and police to reduce the impact of anti-social parking as a result of parenst dropping off and collecting children from schools, and support East Sussex
- Trading Standards to expand the No Child Calling Zones to cover the whole of Hailsham
Health and wellbeing of the residents and visitors
- Develop a partnership with all the local health providers
- Secure new or enhanced existing sports and leisure facilities through developer contributions including play parks, public open spaces and formal sports areas
For further details on Hailsham Forward’s activities and projects visit their website: www.hailshamforward.co.uk.